History of 2353 SQN. It began in the 1940’s era, believe it or not.

Read on to learn more...

No 1 Welsh Wing Air Training Corps

HISTORY OF 
2353 (Ystrad Mynach) SQUADRON 
Years 1960 - 2000

Rear of Central Street | Ystrad Mynach

Circa 1942 - Where It All Began…

Group of original 1960's 2353 Air Cadets 'ATC' Squadron cadets in uniform posing for a formal photograph; black and white, historical.

The Squadron Commander of Caerphilly Squadron at that time was Flight Lieutenant Bell (pictured 6th from left, front row), the Headmaster of Caerphilly Boys Grammar School. The Squadron Commander of the Ystrad Mynach detachment was Pilot Officer Whiting (pictured 5th from left, front row).

The Squadron was located in the town of Ystrad Mynach, 6 miles north of Caerphilly, which is 7 miles north of Cardiff and is in the Rhymney Valley.

Recent research has revealed the existence of an Air Training Corps unit in Ystrad Mynach in the early 1940's. It was a Detached Flight of No. 1223 (Caerphilly) Squadron.

It is understood that at that time, parades were held in the School Hall, Caerphilly Road, Ystrad Mynach. The hall was situated behind what is now still called 'School House' (located between the river bridge and roundabout).

The 1942 photograph shows Staff and Cadets formed in front of the wall opposite the current Caerphilly County Borough Council Education Offices (camera facing west). The hall would have been situated to the right of the camera.

1960 | The Official Formation of 2353 Sqn…

A group photo of military personnel and civilians, including men in uniforms and suits, positioned in three rows. The setting appears to be a formal indoor area, possibly a mess hall, based on the sign in the background.

It is worth noting that one of the first Cadets enrolled in 1960 became an Adult Volunteer on the Squadron in C.2000s, Adult Warrant Officer S G (Sid) Inseal. (See photograph above — 2nd from left, 4th row from front.) Flt Lt IP Thomas (our 1st OC) is front & centre

The existing Squadron was formed in 1960 and although the certificate authorising the formation of the Squadron is undated, records held indicate the Squadron's initial parade was on the 5th September 1960 (see photograph below).

The Squadron paraded at the Holy Trinity Church Hall, Nelson Road, Ystrad Mynach and Flight Lieutenant I P Thomas was appointed the first Squadron Commander.

In urgent need of a dedicated headquarters, a plot of land was obtained at the rear of Central Street adjacent to the telephone exchange.

A Civilian Committee, under the Chairmanship of the late Mr. Vincent Williams who was the Headmaster of Pengam Boys Grammar School, initiated the purchase of the land.

The cost of the land was £3,000 (including freehold) paid for with a grant from the Air Ministry (now MOD Air). A local Estate Agent, the late Captain V Cole, enthusiastically assisted this. The present Spooner hut was erected in early 1962.

Squadron Roll Of Honours

Squadron Achievements

Cadets Entering HM Forces

Comparisons of Cadets entering Her/His Majesty's Forces from 2353 Squadron.

Bar chart showing distribution of frequency categories with one tall bar, one medium bar, and one short bar.